[DWJ] mutilating, cracking, dunking, and otherwise abusing innocent books

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 26 00:24:20 EDT 2006

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Otter Perry wrote:

> On Sunday, June 25, 2006, at 06:28 AM, Paul Andinach wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Otter Perry wrote:
> >
> > > It was by Barbara Ninde Byfield, who also wrote _The Glass
> > > Harmonica_, which is sort of an early Tough Guide.  Anybody else
> > > familiar with it?
> >
> > I have heard of it, but never found a copy. If I ever do find a
> > copy, I will very likely steal it, because 'Andrew and the
> > Alchemist' is one of my favourite books ever. (People who were
> > thinking of talking about how they own a copy, consider yourselves
> > warned!)
>
> You're down in Oz, right?  So my copy is safe?  It''s my sister that
> has The Eating in Bed Cookbook.
>
> Who are 'Andrew and the Alchemist'?

'Andrew and the Alchemist' is another book by Barbara Ninde Byfield.
It's a short novel, set in a small kingdom ruled by a cheerful but
inefficient king and a highly competent prime minister who of course
turns out to be wicked, but is defeated by a couple of plucky
children, the aforementioned alchemist, and Frederick.

I do own a copy of 'Andrew and the Alchemist', by the way; it's only
everything else that's not safe.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."