[DWJ] Bujold was Re: book pricing

Sun Jun 25 21:54:48 EDT 2006

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:58:32 -0600, Otter Perry wrote:

>What did everybody think of _The Hallowed Hunt_, hereinafter
>referred to as THH?  I liked some of the characters very much,
>particularly the Learneds Oswin, Halanna, and Lewko.  But I
>was a little underwhelmed by the book altogether.  Is it just
>me or has she done this before, and better?

I didn't think so.  It's my favorite of the "Chalion" books, and I thought
it was remarkable on a lot of levels, particularly the invention of a new
magic/religious system that fits in perfectly (from the reader's point of
view) with the first one.  I'm going to re-read it in a few weeks for my
increasingly despised reading group, so maybe I can be more specific later.
But it was one of my top four picks for 2005.  One thing I can say is that I
was less interested in the main characters than in the underlying story.
Their conflicts and problems were interesting (especially, again, in how
they related to the shamanistic magic) but they themselves seemed like
placeholders.  Unlike Oswin and Halanna, and how's that for a wonderful
romantic coupling?  I still can't decide if I would have liked it better
seeing their courtship as a novel by itself, or hearing about it over time
the way it was in the books.

So far all of that series has been increasingly interesting to me, so
whatever comes next has a pretty high bar to meet.  :)

Melissa Proffitt