[DWJ] HP and misunderstanding as plot-device (was Re: Last Battle)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Jun 25 14:09:24 EDT 2006

On Sunday, June 25, 2006, at 06:10 AM, Ika Willis wrote:

> Adding myself as another one who finds this kind of plot very
> stressful,
> though I like school stories a lot - I must have just managed to avoid
> the
> ones of this type. (My gf did a PhD on school stories and says the ones
> I've read are highly unrepresentative of the genre, though: I seem to
> have
> read about a million where the problem of the too-exclusive
> relationship
> between the butch girl and the femme girl is resolved by adding a third
> girl  to the mix and the formation of a stable threesome, but
> apparently
> this is not usual.)

The only reason there isn't coffee all over my monitor is that I hadn't
just taken a gulp.  I wish I'd had stories about butch girls and femme
girls when I was a kid.  As it was, I had to wait until quite late to
start
reading those stories.

School stories weren't a genre I had much contact with.  The ones I
read the most were Stalky and the Lawrenceville stories [sort of the
same as Stalky, but about a school in New Jersey].  And I don't think
I ran into these until I was in my teens.

[I promise that my sig is a random selection from my collection.]

- It doesn't make any difference what you do in the
   bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street
   and frighten the horses.

                                    -- Mrs. Patrick Campbell