[DWJ] OT: book pricing

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 25 13:17:52 EDT 2006

>I was very surprised the other day reading a reference to a book about a
>child with synesthesia ( e.g. seeing numbers and days of the week as being
>of particular colours) being about a problem. I have no idea why it should
>be a problem. I remember in Marjorie Allingham's book The mind-readers it
>was an ability seen as positively useful.

I think it is problematic because a lot of early learning relies on
sensory association. If a child's perception is different to what is
expected or "normal", and the teacher doesn't know, then there will be
an issue.

I had a friend who had synesthesia to a degree when she was young
(apparently, it is more common in babies, and most of us grow out of
it); she describes seeing numbers as colours. Then she started school
and there was an attempt to teach her mathematics using those coloured
sticks. Because, according to her, the sticks were the wrong colours for
the numbers, she had a horrible time grasping the concepts, and was
mathematically "backward", for some time. The way she describes it, the
misidentifying of the numbers with colour almost made her feel
physically ill.

robyn