[DWJ] filming DWJ (was Digest,movie of LWWW)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Jun 25 12:47:12 EDT 2006

>On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:
>
>> I am STILL unreasonably annoyed about HMC... if tLtWatW and HP and
>> LotR can be done in live action, why NOT HMC? (sob).

Paul replied reasonably:
>Well, because Miyazaki doesn't do live action films. And no director
>who *does* do live action has yet expressed an interest.

I have a feeling that one did at some point but didn't follow up on it.
There have been several "gee I'd like to make the movie" points in the past
thirty years, about various of the books, but for some reason nothing came
of any of them until Miyazaki did it.

Some at least of DWJ's books would have been fairly hard to film well until
the computer-graphic and the special effects possibilities that have come
up recently, I think, wouldn't they?  That might have been one reason for
nobody taking up the options they bought.

Minnow