[DWJ] Plot Coupons

Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 25 10:09:12 EDT 2006

Of course - the oojumfips of Time City! Thanks, Ika. I'd wondered too about the Zoi in Dogsbody, but I think if there's only one of them it doesn't count (though whether it thereby automatically becomes a MacGuffin, as claimed by Wikipedia, is maybe open to debate).

  I wondered too about *Archer's Goon*. But, although you can guess pretty quickly that Howard is *going* to meet all seven siblings, it's not an upfront demand of the plot that he do so. On the other hand, there is that list of things the book is going to prove printed at the front: maybe they are technically plot coupons?

  Further idle googling (and yes, I am going to get back to work in just a minute) has revealed this nice exposition of the phrase by Neil Gaiman, who obligingly puts in his own ObDWJ so that I don't have to. http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2002/10/several-people-asking-what-i-meant-by.asp

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk