[DWJ] Happy DWJ-book-related news

sally at sallyodgers.com sally at sallyodgers.com
Sat Jun 24 20:15:15 EDT 2006

Melissa Proffitt writes:

> Ivy never worried once about the kind of mother she was.
>
> Melissa Proffitt

It's fascinating to look at the influences on child characters and try to
work out why they are AS they are. Polly had "bad" ...um, passive/abusive?
parents. but Granny was a staunch "good" influence (though not entirely
perfect). Thomas was a good influence in some ways. How much did these
good/bad influences have to do with the essential Polly, and how much was
inborn?

One of the things that irritates me in a lot of books is that characters
like HP are shown without any of the scars they WOULD bear from a terrible
neglect.

OTOH, I have also swung round to Nature in the Nature v Nurture debate. We
have three pups at home. They were born here to our bitch Ace and a likable
male named Kipper. They have been treated the same way, and at 4 1/2 months
are as follows.

Tilly is tiny, nervous, stubborn and occasionally  ferocious (flashing fangs
and eyes at her sibs). It is very difficult to discipline her as she cowers
at a cross word. She's a fey little fairy of a thing.

Jeanie is a big gallumping galloot who loves everyone. She flies about
knocking things over. If you look at her, the ears go flat with adoration,
the tail is always wagging. Walking her is - um - challenging. She swings
about like a fish on a line.

Preacher is a sweet little bloke who has an earnest nature. He is easy to
train, and looks up at you to see what you mean when you speak to him. He
rarely needs discipline. His one odd habit is flopping on his tummy if he
sees something scary out walking.

Their two sisters, in Newcastle with my son, are evidently different again.
One is a chicken... scared of her shadow, and always wanting cuddles, and
the other is a schemer who sulks if caught out.

You can see them at http://sallyodgers.50megs.com/usualsuspects.htm

The two at the top are the parents, and the others follow in order...
Cookie the chicken (at Newcastle), Tilly the fairy (at home), Pippi the
schemer (at Newcastle), Jeanie the galloot (at home), Preacher the thinker
(at home).

Sallyo