[DWJ] mutilating, cracking, dunking, and otherwise abusing innocent books

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Jun 24 16:19:29 EDT 2006

On Saturday, June 24, 2006, at 02:03 PM, Otter Perry wrote:

> On Saturday, June 24, 2006, at 01:08 PM, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:45:01 -0600, Otter Perry wrote:
>>> Although I admit to having read in the bathtub, but only paperbacks.
>>> even figured out how to read in the shower, but have only done it two
>>> or three times, and not at all in years and years.  Actually, it's
>>> been
>>> a long time since I lived with a bathtub suitable for reading in ....
>>
>> I read in the bathtub (paperbacks only because hardbound is too
>> heavy) but I
>> always have a towel for wiping my hands so as not to get wet
>> fingermarks on
>> the pages.  :)
>
> The ultimate in relaxation, of course, is to have chocolate as well.
> Or
> whatever your food of choice is ....

And speaking of that, there was a cookbook once called "The Eating in
Bed Cookbook."  This was long before microwaves and such things, so
it was a more challenging proposition.  In any case, there were a few
recipes for foods to be eaten in the bathtub.  One I remember involved
full contact with a watermelon.

It was by Barbara Ninde Byfield, who also wrote _The Glass Harmonica_,
which is sort of an early Tough Guide.  Anybody else familiar with it?

"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience.
  Our problem is that people all over the world have obeyed the dictates
  of their leaders and have gone to war, and millions have been killed
  because of this obedience...Our problem is that people are obedient
  all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation and cruelty.
  Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of
petty
  thieves, and the grand thieves are running the country. That's our
  problem."

        --- Howard Zinn