[DWJ] OT: book pricing

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Sat Jun 24 13:58:46 EDT 2006

Me/Minnow:

>>God, I'm on my third reading copy of *Charmed Life* (crappy 70s/80s
Penguin edition - it's the one I grew up with and I seem to have a
quasi-autistic fondness for reading it in the right font and with the
>> page
>>breaks in the right place).
>
> Gosh, is that a sign of being quasi-autistic?

Eek! Thanks for pulling me up on that. No, I don't think it's a diagnostic
sign for autism in the slightest (I've certainly never been diagnosed with
anything approaching autism), it's just an association I have in my head.
I have a tendency to use the word 'autistic' far too loosely in relation
to certain kinds of pleasure (basically, getting a sense of deep security
and joy from spatial regularity and order, with a sort of side-sense that
I might panic slightly if that order was taken away - I got it from seeing
a splendid austistic woman on the telly who was in love with brickwork,
and whom I deeply identified with, a few years ago).

Love, Ika

PS: I've been forgiven for the *Peter's Room* debacle; it's not one of
either of our favourite AFs, it's not one that Jenny needs to have in the
correct edition, and it's been reissued by Girls Gone By so it's not as
irreplaceable as I thought. The thing of it was that I grew up reading
mostly library books and charity-shop books, so I think of books as free
or cheap and always easily available/replaceable:  getting my hands on
Jenny's lovingly-hoarded AFs (and seeing the prices for replacements at
book-fairs...) was the first time I realized that wasn't always the case.
And going out with a pro writer has started me buying books new for the
first time in my life!