[DWJ] pierced ears

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Jun 23 23:13:27 EDT 2006

On Friday, June 23, 2006, at 08:56 PM, sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:

> My daughter balances the universe, though... she has three in each
> ear, and has had two others, which she let grow over because one
> infected and the other (top of ear) never stopped hurting. She had an
> eyebrow ring for 5 years (and has just remove it), a tongue stud for a
> few weeks (it infected and made her pretty sick), and currently has a
> bellybutton ring and a nose stud. I THINK that's all... I'm surprised
> she canget through metal detectors at the airport.

There used to be store in a suburb north of Detroit called
Noir Leather.  It sold all kinds of interesting objects and
clothing and magazines.

The proprietor was well known at Detroit Metro [the airport]
for his ability to set off the metal detectors long before detectors
were as sensitive as they are now.  He had a _lot_ of piercings
in places that weren't visible when he was dressed, and
almost certainly had ones that wouldn't be visible if he
took his shirt off.  But I never saw him go through a metal
detector with his shirt off [or at any other time, AFAIK] so
I can't say for sure.

And speaking of airport security, has anyone run into
the machines that blow air at you?  My sister flew last
weekend and was very surprised by one.  Someone at
her reunion [which is where she flew to] told her that
they detect certain kinds of particulates.  So, if you shoot
your spouse, don't do it right before you go through
airport security.

When a distinguished but elderly scientist says that something is
possible, he is almost certainly right. When he says it is impossible,
he is very probably wrong.

                                       -- Arthur C. Clarke