[DWJ] Plagiarism or homage? (was Big Bad Read)

sally at sallyodgers.com sally at sallyodgers.com
Fri Jun 23 21:35:23 EDT 2006

Minnow writes:

But I've been thinking about other forms of  homage and/or
>>stealing of ideas, and when I read this I thought I'd  solicit opinions.
>>What if a newbie author uses her/his favorite  character name in her/his
>>ms?  Is that an homage or is it  stealing?  Does it depend on whether the
>>original character is  from a classic or from a newer work -- the classic
>>being both possibly  in the public domain and also more "owned" by the
>>public by being so  well-loved?  For example, if a new fantasy writer used
>>the names  Romeo, Harry Potter, and Chrestomanci, I think the first would
>>be  totally acceptable, the second would slip by, and the third might be
>>plagiarism.

It depends on if the name is unique. I saw a man named Aslan on a quiz show
once. I assume he was named for Narnia. However, if I met a girl named Emma,
I would NOT assume an Austen borrowing.  I was a bit startled to encounter
an internet persona named Pirimba Raven - I asked her where she got it, and
she said it was from her favourite book character (she's the heroine of one
of my books). She was a bit startled to hear from me, having assumed, I
think, that I was a myth.

So... I would use the surname Chant in a book. That would be double homage,
to DWJ and Margaret Mahy. I would use Elda, but not for a griffin. I might
use Sophie or Martha, or Michael (*I* would know why) but not Chrestomanci,
Howl or Miss Angorian of Calcifer - except possibly for a pet dog, with the
implication the character was named AFTER the original.

I don't see that names are copyright in any real sense, because they can be
invented independently. I named four unicorn characters Zaius, Kyalas,
Rinella and Odyllicus in my teens - and much later discovered a Zaius in the
Planet of the Apes series which I had never seen.

I MIGHT, if feeling evil, invent a character called Henry Potter, Harold
Potter or Potter Henry... but all the characters named Harry I have ever
used in books,  Harry Fletcher, Harry Matthias Zachary Gilchrist, Harry
Parsons and Harry son of Herewald were named PRE-Harry Potter.

Ya reckon Maisie Potter from AG is a rellie?

Sallyo.