[DWJ] mutilating, cracking, dunking, and otherwise abusing innocent books

Fri Jun 23 21:20:43 EDT 2006

And while I'm in the mood for disagreeing with the vocal majority :) ...

...what is WRONG with you people?  Beating up on poor innocent books like
that, dogearing and cracking spines and subjecting them to the possibility
of water damage?  It's like a convention of sadists around here.  :)  I like
being able to read a book multiple times without it looking battered.
Bookshelves full of books purchased to be read and loved (as opposed to
books bought by the yard for decoration) are extremely unattractive objects
except to book lovers.  I figure it's just that much worse if the books look
like they have been used as coasters since the Peninsular War.

Melissa Proffitt
(who is admittedly sort of anal about book condition)