[DWJ] Big Bad Read

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jun 23 18:11:11 EDT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Otter Perry wrote:

> Incidentally, in some parts of the world, "Ma-RIGH-a" doesn't
> rhyme with 'higher".  In those parts of the world, there's no
> "r" at the end of it.
>
> It's one of the things some of us USAliens find amusing about
> some accents -- that "r" at the ends of words ending in a vowel,
> as when "law" and "lore" are pronounced the same way

That comes up in _Dogsbody_, even in my American edition, which bewildered
me as a child.  Why did Basil tease Sirius by saying "fork?"  "Fork"
simply doesn't rhyme with "walk?"  I was so pleased when I finally
realized what was going on there!

					---Kyra

---
"If anything, I have too much space.  Every two months, I am doing a nice
Stalinist purge."
		---Zizek on his home, as quoted at
		http://www.rebeccamead.com/2003/2003_05_05_art_marx.htm