Narnia movie (was Re: [DWJ] Re: Last Battle)

Fri Jun 23 17:41:55 EDT 2006

I don't know about a *serious* fan, but I thought the movie was excellent.
It's not Lord of the Rings; I didn't fall instantly in love with it; but it
captured the essence of what I loved about the books.  The director clearly
had a full series of movies in mind as far as some of the adaptations went,
particularly in fleshing out Susan's character.  In the books where she
actually appears, she seems perfectly content in Narnia and takes her role
there seriously.  Then in _The Last Battle_, we're *told* what she's become:
superficial and "girly."  Anyone bringing the whole series to film has to
deal with this somehow, and Adamson (the director) does it by moving Susan
more in the direction of someone you could believe would eventually convince
herself that Narnia was all imagination.  This is not pleasant.  Susan is
seriously annoying in the movie.  But it's hard to imagine what alternatives
might have been better.  To me, this shows a degree of care that trumps
considerations of an "exact" translation.  But I'll admit my preference for
movies made from books is something that captures the heart of the story,
rather than reproducing dialogue and scenes exactly.

Melissa Proffitt