[DWJ] Big Bad Read

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 23 15:03:11 EDT 2006

Such an interesting question.

I think partly it's a question of intent (and also of reader
cleverness). That is, if I deliberately write in another author's style
and I expect people to realise it, then it's homage, if I have no idea I
am doing it, it's derivative, and if I am doing it but think no one will
notice, it's plagiarism. (Although I admit this is not the academic
standard; that's a whole nother kettle of fish.) e.g. David Lodge's The
British Museum is Falling Down is a pastiche of parodies, with each
chapter written in the style of a different modern novelist. When the
book came out, some critics thought it was clever, but others just
thought it was derivative.

robyn