[DWJ] Happy DWJ-book-related news

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Jun 23 14:30:02 EDT 2006

On Friday, June 23, 2006, at 09:38 AM, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> Otter wrote:
>> Has anyone else read _The Saturdays_ by Elizabeth Enright?
>
> Oh, yes. Miss Pearl, yay. I did feel sorry for Mona's reception at home
> afterwards- that was one of those "huh?" moments when you realise that
> the past is a foreign country.
> Jennfier

That past may be a foreign country to _you_,  but I'd have expected
something like that to happen if _I'd_ come home with a new perm.
My sister came home with pierced ears when she was 17 or so,
c 1959, and I'll never forget _that_.  [I got mine pierced when I
was 30, and the second set of holes when I was 47 or so.  I'm sure
my mother disapproved .... ]

One of the things _The Saturdays_ taught me was that it's worth
checking the library for authors you like.  I never knew there were
other books about the Melendys until I chanced upon them in the
library.  Hitherto, there had always been a big division in my mind
between books that were at home and books that were at the
library.

And speaking of libraries, I used to work at Wayne State University
in Detroit.  One of the benefits was that employees had very
generous borrowing rules, and WSU had an excellent children's
collection as part of the School of Education libraries.  [The
collection
went downhill in the economic downturn of the early 80s, but
there were many more books than I ever got around to reading.]
That, for example, is where I first found _The Blue Sword_ and
_Drowned Ammet_.

<sigh>  I do miss having a university library at my fingers' ends.

- The first rule of holes:
    when you're in one, stop digging.

                     -- Molly Ivins