[DWJ] OT: book pricing

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Fri Jun 23 12:26:41 EDT 2006

Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
  > Gosh, is that a sign of being quasi-autistic?  When I explained to someone
> who was in some sort of pschological trade, 'way back when, that the reason
> I could  almost always find quotations very quickly was that after reading
> a book a couple of times I knew where things came on the page and could
> flip through looking only for instance at the top left-hand corner as long
> as it was the same edition, *he* told me that probably meant I had a
> "semi-eidetic memory" and splendid visualisation skills.

> Seeing numbers and days of the week as being of particular colours didn't
> strike him as autistic either, come to think of it: he said that was "a
> surprisingly common characteristic referent-scheme among creative subjects" or some such.

  I read an article a few years ago in Smithsonian magazine about people  who see letters and numbers in color; they called it synesthesia and  went on to talk about how these people also may see specific colors  when they listen to music or have certain emotions.  For a long  time I figured I must have synesthesia, but I finally remembered that  any colors I have associated with letters are mostly the same as the  colors on my kiddie alphabet chart.  Too bad.  The most I can  claim is that letters and numbers have definite genders to me.

  EGH