[DWJ] Maria

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 23 11:44:16 EDT 2006

Quoting Emma Comerford <emmaco at tpg.com.au>:

> I always assumed the paddy wagon was pronounced "Ma-REE-a" and pronounced
> the book title accordingly! Although I have a vague feeling the list may
> have pointed this out before and I had chosen to forgotten.
>
> Emma

I had similar pronunciation problems with "Eustace" from C. S. Lewis, putting in
a few extra syllables by articulating all the vowels separately. It wasn't until
I read The Silver Chair that I figured it out, because the deaf Trumpkin days
something like "Useless? Who's useless?" But even still, if I am re-reading, it
still comes out comfortably garbled in my head.

sue