[DWJ] OT: book pricing

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Jun 23 11:33:38 EDT 2006

On Thursday, June 22, 2006, at 10:37 PM, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:

>   I buy paperbacks because they're so much cheaper than hardcover (and
>  re: the recent discussion, I live in the US), and even though they're
>  not really meant to last, I try to treat them gently.

I buy paperbacks nowadays because they're lighter and smaller.  I have
owned in my life a couple of tons of books, and am a recovering book-
owner.  Paperbacks are easier to move and store.  [Not to worry:  I
still
own a lot of books.]

But I buy Diana Wynne Jones, Terry Pratchett, and Robin McKinley
in hardback because I like them better that way and, more importantly,
because I have no intention of waiting until they're available in
paperback.

As I stood before the gates I realized that I never want to be as
certain about anything as were the people who built this place.

                                            -Rabbi Sheila Peltz,
                                             on her visit to Auschwitz