[DWJ] Swiss Family Robinson (was OT: book pricing)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Jun 23 09:45:12 EDT 2006

>Minnow wrote:
>> Jennifer wrote of reading to pieces a copy of
>> >Swiss Family Robinson
>>
>> Please tell me that was in the translation in which they are
>> met on the beach by a flock of flamingoes and penguins?  I
>> promise that this was the case in the edition we had when I
>> was a child, and I adored that image.

Jennifer came back:

>I don't remember it- but I now discover that I have surprisingly few
>memories of the book, so it might have been there. My main recollections
>are the treehouse complex with running water, and the mixed-animal race,
>and that's more from the illustration than the text. (The boy on the
>ostrich!)

The ostrich was steered using coconut shells to cover one eye or the other,
so that it would run in the direction it could still see, as far as I
remember.

>Hmm. I wonder if it was something about the book that is less memorable
>than others I read at the same time, or if the books I think I remember
>from childhood are really those I re-read in my teens?

I think it isn't a very must-re-read book: I certainly didn't (and haven't)
gone back to it except once or twice to revel in its absurdities.  The
author just seems to have put in every animal and plant he had ever heard
of -- I think there's even a polar bear at one point -- and had never set
foot outside his native was-it-Switzerland?

Minnow