[DWJ] Re: Last Battle

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Jun 23 09:34:35 EDT 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Paul Andinach wrote:
|[On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Charlie wrote:]
|
|> > I like it from the moment they enter the stable, but up till then
|> > I get too stressed by the false Aslan plot - as I tend to by all
|> > plots that involve mistaken identity, people being accused of
|> > crimes they did not commit, misunderstandings, etc (and a lot of
|> > plots do).
|
|> Charlie, I'm just like you, here. I always get intensely
|> uncomfortable with plots containing the kinds of misunderstandings
|> you describe. I *really* don't like all that stuff about the donkey
|> and the Ape either. When I'm watching a film and the plot develops
|> in these kinds of ways, it's not unusual for me to get up and leave
|> the room (one reason why I'm often happier watching something at
|> home on DVD rather than in a cinema). It can be troublesome because
|> there is a whole range of such developments that I find hard to
|> watch. A lot of what most people call "suspense" really doesn't
|> appeal to me.
|
|And here I was, worrying that I was the only person that has this
|problem...

Heck, no.  I can't bear Brust's To Reign In Hell simply because
it posits the entire Fall as the result of misunderstandings and
intentional manipulations of other people's understanding of
what's going on.

-deborah
--
"The doctors guaranteed the treatment would fry the fairy clean
out of him. But all it did was make him bonkers every time he