[DWJ] OT: book pricing

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Jun 23 09:28:30 EDT 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:
|My most battered books:
|
|Fire and Hemlock
|Charmed Life
|several Teddy Robinson books
|an Alice in Wonderland

My A Little Princess went in the bathtub when I was little, so
now it's twice normal size. My Narnia books are all held together
with sticky tape, mostly from being jammed back into the slip
case (and from having gone through two older sisters). My Tolkien
books are also all missing covers, from having gone through a
mother and two older sisters, as well as from having been
constantly jammed back into the slip case.  I think Howl's Moving
Castle's pretty shabby, too.

But my favorite is Hero and the Crown, which is in so many pieces
and so barely held together that when I took it to get signed by
Robin McKinley she signed it with "Deborah -- the condition of
this book is very flattering!". So then I had to do what I have
never done before, and buy a second copy to read in order to keep
a signed copy pristine, because if I keep reading a signed copy
it will just fall apart, seriously.

I crack spines, fold corners, and read while I cook, so my
books? Not in great shape.

-deborah
--
"I don't want to know what the structuralists think!  I want to
know what you think!"  -- Archer's Goon, Diana Wynne Jones