[DWJ] Big Bad Read

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Jun 23 08:10:27 EDT 2006

>On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:
>
>> > The other interesting thing about this book, from a DWJish point
>> > of view, is that the protagonist is
>> >
>> > (a) employed by the British government to protect the world from
>> >     magical threats; and
>> >
>> > (b) a bit of a clothes-horse, who at one point appears dressed in
>> >     a jade green dressing gown with a red dragon on it.
>> >
>> > I'm fairly sure that's just coincidence, though.
>>
>> Curious and curiouser.  What is this book?
>
>'The Man from the Diogenes Club', by Kim Newman. It's a collection of
>stories about a section of the British secret service tasked with
>dealing with rogue magicians, bloodthirsty ghosts, murderous voodoo
>practicioners, etc. (Also a Blofeld-type supervillain, a plot to take
>over the world by an advanced computer, and - just for a change of
>pace - an sf writer clubbed to death with his own Hugo award.)

Oh, if it's Kim it has *got* to be an /homage/, I think.  He knows DWJ,
after all, and I'm sure that he's read her books.

There may be a link to the ill-starred 1980s short story collection
*Temps*, edited by I forget now whom in the Midnight Rose Collective but
from an idea produced for them by Neil Gaiman, and deliberately bowing to
DWJ and Chrestomanci.  I know that Kim was involved in that project, and I
know that several of the people also involved in it were DWJ fans, and I
know that it involved the rather Chrestomanci head of a Department whose
business was keeping psychics in government employ rather than their going
around doing their own thing.

Minnow