[DWJ] Happy DWJ-book-related news

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Jun 23 08:10:25 EDT 2006

>On 23/6/06 12:26 PM, "Elizabeth Evans" <er.evans at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> Wow, I'm impressed. I've never known anyone whose hair hangs below their
>>knees
>> before. I know there's a (fairly modern) fairy tale about a princess whose
>> hair grows really long, but I can't remember what it's called.  (I thought it
>> was George Macdonald's Light Princess, but I see it's not).

Judith beat me to it
>Melisande, by E. Nesbit. Illustrations in 90s picture book version by PJ
>Lynch.

It's one of the gems in the *Puffin Book of Princesses* (1965), which I
regard as the finest collection of stories about Princesses ever: it
includes Dickens' "The Magic Fishbone" and MacDonald's "The Light Princess"
-- which is *surely* an influence on Mercedes Lackey's "Sun and Shadow"
song and story? -- and de la Mare's "The Dancing Princesses", and Wilde's
"The Birthday of the Infanta", as well as stories by Kipling, Milne,
Somerset Maughan, Farjeon, Thurber, and others less well-known.

Minnow