[DWJ] Big Bad Read

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 07:07:18 EDT 2006

Minnow wrote

> It was called *Aunt Maria* in the States, because the publisher was afraid
> that Americans wouldn't know the card game of that name and might think it
> was racism.

Or just sort of strange - I'm British, but I still tend to hear 'black' in
its racial/ethnic meaning first of all, even when it doesn't really make
sense in context. There's a Smiths song that goes 'I wear black on the
outside/because black is how I feel on the inside' and even though I
completely adore the lyric, I have to sort of talk my brane into hearing
it 'properly', because my spontaneous reaction is always 'Huh? Morrissey,
you are the *least* black singer in the universe! Oh... wait...' I think
I'd probably have a bit of a 'huh?' reaction to the title *Black Maria*
too, if my first association wasn't the police-van thing (I hadn't heard
of the card game either - maybe I am American and just don't know it?).
Shame to lose the multiple puns, though.

Love, Ika