[DWJ] OT: book pricing

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 23 01:59:30 EDT 2006

See, I've heard this discussion before, and I still don't believe it. I
think a lot of these reasons are convenient, rather than fact. I used to
buy hardcover books in Australia all the time, and some of them were
even - shock, horror! By Australian authors. I think maybe the reasons
account for a percentage of the price, but a good chunk of it is also
expectation.

As an academic, I was absolutely astounded when I first came to Canada,
and book reps started plying me with books. In the past, I had to buy my
own textbooks for courses I was teaching, let alone being able to just
say "I'm thinking about using this, can I have a copy." However, when I
talked to a rep about whether a book would be available for a friend in
Melbourne who wanted to teach it, she got the contact info for the rep
there, and my friend got an evaluation copy. I found that very
interesting indeed; clearly it was expectation rather than company policy.

robyn