[DWJ] Big Bad Read

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 23 01:57:27 EDT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:

> > The other interesting thing about this book, from a DWJish point
> > of view, is that the protagonist is
> >
> > (a) employed by the British government to protect the world from
> >     magical threats; and
> >
> > (b) a bit of a clothes-horse, who at one point appears dressed in
> >     a jade green dressing gown with a red dragon on it.
> >
> > I'm fairly sure that's just coincidence, though.
>
> Curious and curiouser.  What is this book?

'The Man from the Diogenes Club', by Kim Newman. It's a collection of
stories about a section of the British secret service tasked with
dealing with rogue magicians, bloodthirsty ghosts, murderous voodoo
practicioners, etc. (Also a Blofeld-type supervillain, a plot to take
over the world by an advanced computer, and - just for a change of
pace - an sf writer clubbed to death with his own Hugo award.)

I enjoyed it immensely, but I suspect it's one of those 'if you like
things like this' situations - which leaves the problem of usefully
defining 'things like this'.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."