[DWJ] OT: book pricing

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Fri Jun 23 00:37:32 EDT 2006

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:  > Oh, I am such a spine-cracker. And a page-folder. And a face-down leaver.
Thomas Lynn would slap me silly (except i might enjoy that...).

> Only with paperbacks, though. Wouldn't mistreat a 'nice' book that I wanted
to keep for posterity. Although I have to say that some of the best books
are paperbacks that are barely holding together from being loved so much.
Like teddy bears with patchy fur and missing eyes. they are always the best
kind.

> My most battered books:

> Fire and Hemlock
> Charmed Life
> several Teddy Robinson books
> an Alice in Wonderland

> Anyone else?

  I buy paperbacks because they're so much cheaper than hardcover (and  re: the recent discussion, I live in the US), and even though they're  not really meant to last, I try to treat them gently.  My most  battered is definitely my first copy of Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie  Brink, which I was given when I was 3 or 4 years old.  More recent  battered favorites:

  He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters
  Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
  Magician's Ward by Patricia C. Wrede

  I haven't been a DWJ fan long enough to collect many of her books or  read any of them enough to batter them.  I definitely need to buy  a copy of Fire and Hemlock soon.

  EGH, who wouldn't mind being slapped silly by Tomas Lynn either, come to think of it