[DWJ] Happy DWJ-book-related news

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 23:54:11 EDT 2006

My parents switched to French, which lasted until I caught on to that in
later elementary school (the blessings of growing up in Canada).

Acutally, I once caught someone out doing this. I was visiting a friend in
Toronto whose boyfried was much older and quite pretentious. Said boyfriend
also had a friend visiting from Montreal. My friend was . . . shall we say
not quite the student he could have been - he knew no French. The boyfriend
and his friend decided to have a rather catty, snotty conversation in French
- leaving (they thought) the two of us out on purpose. This lasted until I
responded, in French, to some really nasty thing they said with a witty
retort. They stopped immediately and were quite sheepish for the next while.
They didn't pull that again while I was around!

widdy