[DWJ] OT: book pricing

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Jun 22 23:37:03 EDT 2006

On Thursday, June 22, 2006, at 07:51 PM, LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
wrote:

> 3. US mass-market paperbacks are usually pretty horrendous quality. we
> get
> a few imports, and the difference in quality is astounding. the US PBs
> are
> often on cheap, thin paper with small print and crappy binding that
> falls
> apart after one read.

Hmmm.  My personal standard of poor quality is older Penguin
paperbacks [well, other than Scholastic Books].  I don't think I've
ever bought a modern US mass-market paperback that fell apart
like a Penguin.

I should point out that for years I read paperbacks in such a way that
it was impossible to tell that they'd ever even been opened.  My
friends and relatives will tell you that I never opened them more than
an
inch or two, which is an exaggeration.  I think.

I'm a little more ruthless now.

But even I could not read the Penguin _Don Quixote_ without putting
a lot of creases in the spine.

-----

Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond
the comprehension of the weak; and that it is doing God's
service when it is violating all his laws.

    - John Adams