[DWJ] Big Bad Read

estairm at yahoo.com estairm at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 23:13:35 EDT 2006

Ian W. Riddell wrote:

> You know, there are two villains on that list that
still frighten me to this day:

Bill Sikes from "Oliver Twist" and the Child Catcher
from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang".

With the latter, it's mostly the movie version that
just makes me cringe everytime I see him. Makes it
hard    to look at Michael Jackson, who, at one point,
seemed  to be doing his best to look just like the
Child
Catcher from the movie.>

I wrote the website about this villain.  The Child
Catcher (and the Baron and Baroness of Vulgaria, and
Vulgaria itself, for that matter) did not exist in the
book.  And if the whole deal is about READING, then
huh?

It's funny, the book was plenty exciting set in
France, with gangsters for villains, instead of the
whole fairy-tale set-up of the movie.  The ways of
Hollywood are incomprehensible...

Esther