[DWJ] Book prices

sodgers at iinet.net.au sodgers at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 22 22:52:55 EDT 2006

I have mixed feelings about book prices. They are sometimes lower in the US
because of "deep discounting" - up to 65%. However, though that gives buyers
cheaper books, it literally puts publishers out of business. I lost thousands
of dollars and months of work when a company which was pubbing three of my
long books (100,000 words each) was forced to the wall by deep discounting. In
Aus, most of the publishers I work for have very slim profit margins, because
costs are so high.

If a book costs $20.00
Author/illustrator share $2.00 (which pays for time and expertise)
Bookseller - $8.00 (which pays for shop-costs, rent, rates etc)
leaving $10.00 for the publisher, (which pays for editing, printing,
advertising, reps' wages, distribution etc).

Imagine the effect when you get deep dicounting.

Author/Illus share - $1.00 - if lucky
Bookseller - $13.00
Leaving $6.00 for th epublisher, who STILL has to pay for editing, printing,
advertising, reps' wages, distribution etc).

Very few self publishers, with our own Margaret Ball as an honourable
exception, manage to make a profit...

Sallyo.