[DWJ] Big Bad Read

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 22 21:49:24 EDT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

> Normally I would call a girl Ma-REE-a (as in West Side Story), but
> because a Black Maria (pronounced like higher) is a well-known term
> for a police transportation vehicle - (a.k.a.  paddy-wagon), I
> always think of her as Aunt Maraiah.

I was just about to post about a book I've been reading recently in
which the police transportation vehicle is actually spelled "Black
Mariah", which makes the pronunciation more apparent.

The other interesting thing about this book, from a DWJish point of
view, is that the protagonist is

(a) employed by the British government to protect the world from
    magical threats; and

(b) a bit of a clothes-horse, who at one point appears dressed in a
    jade green dressing gown with a red dragon on it.

I'm fairly sure that's just coincidence, though.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."