[DWJ] Re: OT Book pricing

sodgers at iinet.net.au sodgers at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 22 21:39:47 EDT 2006

> From: Emma Comerford <emmaco at tpg.com.au>
> Does any clever list member know if Australia and other non-US
> countries have insanely high book taxes or something?

It's to do with the unit cost, I expect. We might produce 5000 copies of a
book, while the US does 80,000. The set-up cost is the same, so the unit cost
HAS to be higher is Aus. Howsumdever... (anyone else a Jim Decks fan?) when
buying from o/s we pay for the postage either directly (if we buy privately)
or indirectly (if the books are imported).

I was pretty horrified to see someone on E-Bay selling one of my books (new)
for $7.95 and then charging $27.00 or so postage to Australia.

Sallyo.