[DWJ] OT: book pricing

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 22 21:22:05 EDT 2006

Australian book prices are completely ridiculous, and when I lived there
and used periodically to complain about it, I never got a satisfactory
answer. Most explanations lead me to think that the answer is because
they always have been, and publishers can get away with it. Explanations
like shipping the books from overseas are plainly silly. The same was
true of CDs, but I think perhaps the advent of iTunes might have changed
that a little.

I recently bought some books for my goddaughter, and after searching a
number of online booksellers in Australia, I found it was much cheaper
to buy them from amazon.ca even with the postage issue, and factoring in
the exchange rate.

robyn