[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 22 20:53:27 EDT 2006

I just had a discussion with my class today about the notion of
destruction or death of something and whether that can be seen as a
comforting or good ending; it was in the context of the Great Gatsby,
and Nick's comment that it turned out all right in the end. I don't mind
a sad or troubling end to a story, myself, but I must confess that I
dislike being told that a sad ending is happy. I don't feel comforted at
all, but obviously some people do.

robyn