[DWJ] Re: Last Battle

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 22 20:47:58 EDT 2006

Charles Butler wrote:

>  The absence of the nylon-bedazzled Susan never bothered me - I think I'd never quite forgiven her for being so snippy with Lucy in Prince Caspian.
>
>  Charlie

Interesting. It almost makes an argument about female readers perhaps
being a bit concerned about being identified as Susan (especially if
they are older than Lucy), whereas it wouldn't occur to male readers to
identify with the rejected. I can definitely remember changing my
opinion about Susan when I reread the books and was old enough not to be
a huge Lucy fan; I went from thinking she deserved it to being extremely
uneasy about her.

robyn