[DWJ] OT: book pricing

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Thu Jun 22 18:34:23 EDT 2006

I've just been wondering on my livejournal about the differences in book
prices between the US and Australia (and the UK too I think). A small
paperback costs around $18-$19 here but are $7 (full price) in the US,
while the slightly larger paperbacks (such as those put out by Tor) are
similarly priced as trade paperbacks at $32.95 here but are $14.95 in the
US. And they are even cheaper from somewhere like Amazon (who charge very
high shipping to Australia). Our exchange rate isn't that bad and we aren't
putting them on sailing ships to get here, so why the large price
difference? Does any clever list member know if Australia and other non-US
countries have insanely high book taxes or something?

OBDWJ: I am happy to pay any price for a new DWJ but was happy that the
last two released here were under $20 for the larger sized paperbacks.

Emma