[DWJ] Big Bad Read

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Jun 22 13:49:33 EDT 2006

Lili said...

> I was thinking that too, sort of. That male villains are so often
> cardboardy, Sauron-esque, "I want to take over the world!" type villains.
> (has anyone ever tried asking WHY? what are they going to do with the
> world?)
>
> Female villains are so much more devious and manipulative and creepy. And
> there's something about the whole idea of maternal-gone-wrong.

I think you're on to something there, and not just in DWJ, but generally.
Look at *any* fantasy story - if someone's trying to take over the world,
it's *always* a male (and I, too, wonder why).  But if the villain is a
woman, she usually has some far more sensible goal.

(And now everyone is going to come up with dozens of villainesses who are
trying to take over the world.)

I reckon it's because women generally have more sense than to want to run
the world.  Or are too lazy.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"