[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 22 13:22:27 EDT 2006

Deborah wrote:

> I loved those books, but even at the time I recognized -- not
> in so many words -- that the mother who insisted on putting a
> brick house around the old stone house was a bit of a
> strawman. By associating wanting a more modern house with
> being a shallow racist, Boston does reveal her prejudices
> about modernity, rather.

Yes, and actually, though we never get the new house described, (I
called it pretentious, which I bet was guilt through association with
its being the mother who insisted on it) if it hadn't burnt down Tolly
would love it as a gorgeous old house with elegant high ceilings and a
fascinating other house hidden inside.
Jennifer