[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Jun 22 13:15:01 EDT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:
|What about Greene Knowe, anyway, where one lot of owners had built a
|pretentious new house round the Norman core, and the new bit burnt down
|to leave the old as the only house again? (I don't think Lewis was
|really thinking as quibblingly as me. I suppose they'd really have to be
|in sort of chronological layer-dimension-y things.)

I loved those books, but even at the time I recognized -- not in
so many words -- that the mother who insisted on putting a brick
house around the old stone house was a bit of a strawman. By
associating wanting a more modern house with being a shallow
racist, Boston does reveal her prejudices about modernity,
rather.

My goodness, we are posting a lot this week. I hope we aren't
scaring off the various new people! Or the old people, come to
think of it.

ObDWJ: well, the moving Castle, of course! Does it work the same
way?

-deborah
--
"You do not have to do everything disagreeable that you have a
right to do." 		-- Judith Martin (Miss Manners)