[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Thu Jun 22 12:25:26 EDT 2006

That's true, it's all on the other side of the door.  I love the  descriptions of the other side of the door -- I remember something  about running and never getting tired.  Lewis' descriptions can be  on the lengthy side, but they're certainly evocative.

  EGH

Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:  EGH wrote:

>I don't like the destruction of Narnia, either, and that may be why I
>dislike the book as a whole.

But it isn't destroyed!  I mean, yes, the whole thing is shown being wound
up, as it was always going to be; but then it's renewed and is just the
same only more so, on the other side of the door.

On the whole I rather liked that than disliking it, because being an
awkward sort of child, I wondered what happened about other people having
lived in Mr. Tumnus's house since he had been there, and who got to live
there in the "real" Narnia, and what about the houses in the "real" England
that were in towns that had been gradually changing over the centuries:
which one on a given site would be the one that stayed or were the towns
just much bigger?  It gave me lots of interesting things to consider when I
was in bed with tonsilitis or mumps or measles or other diseasles, which
happened for at least six weeks every year and in one year for more like
fifteen weeks.

Nowadays I just think that Lewis didn't hold with modern architecture.

Minnow