[DWJ] Big Bad Read

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Jun 22 10:22:26 EDT 2006

On Wednesday, June 21, 2006, at 10:01 PM, LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
wrote:

> Aunt Maria is from Black Maria.
>
> Oh, and do we say "Ma-REE-a" (as in, "I just met a girl named...")
>
> or "Ma-RIGH-a" (to rhyme with higher)

Some of us say "Ma-RIGH-a" (as in, "They call the wind ...").

Pick your Broadway musical.

Actually, for me, it depends.  I would usually say "Ma-REE-a" for
a name I saw in print, but I have always said "Aunt Ma-RIGH-a".

Incidentally, in some parts of the world, "Ma-RIGH-a" doesn't
rhyme with 'higher".  In those parts of the world, there's no
"r" at the end of it.

It's one of the things some of us USAliens find amusing about
some accents -- that "r" at the ends of words ending in a vowel,
as when "law" and "lore" are pronounced the same way

I was quite taken aback by the news that there are accents in
which an "l" is added [Bristol, for example, and wherever it is
in Oz that Kyra did the thesis on].

There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, ammo.  Use in that order.

                                                        --Ed Howdershelt