[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jun 22 10:12:31 EDT 2006

> I know, it's strange. I suppose it's because NOW I feel like Lewis had a
> hidden agenda. I always thought that the books were just cracking good
> adventure stories... but really, secretly, they were pushing the Bible.

I remember hearing that they were Christian in high school, and having
to go back and read them again, because when I first read them at the
age of nine I thought it was just one of those dying-and-reborn king/god
things. (No, really, I did; I can remember thinking that in the
Children's Room of the public library...) I felt really stupid for not
figuring it out. In my 20s I read more about Lewis and realized that,
given his background (and mine), it wasn't surprising that I caught on
to the Golden-Boughish theme but not the fact that it was explicitly
Christian, and don't feel so stupid.

The Golden Bough, though, is one of those books that I tried to read and
kept wanting to throw against the wall for the sheer idiotic
Victorianism of the anthropological conjecture.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Justice is better than chivalry if we cannot have both."
   -- Alice Stone Blackwell