[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

Roslyn rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 22 08:48:28 EDT 2006

> Minnow, that was exactly my take on it.  BUT, how
> HORRIBLE to lose your parents and all your siblings at
> one shot and live on as a branch severed from all
> other branches, trunk and roots.
>
> I may be especially sensitive to this because my
> father is a survivor of the Holocaust and lost parents
> and several siblings.  And he feels *fortunate*
> because he has a brother and sister left.  He had
> friends who lost parents and all siblings, cousins,
> aunts and uncles.  A couple we knew were both in this
> same boat and the wife once said they felt like Adam
> and Eve.  Raising kids alone with no advice from
> family, in a strange country...
>
> Esther

Esther, I just had to let you know that my father is also a Holocaust
survivor. The Nazis marched into Prague when he was 13. He and three other
siblings survived out of eight, which is a lot compared to many others'
experience. He knows that his mother was gassed with his little sister, but
no-one knows what happened to the other siblings (his father died before the
War). Nothing much is known also about the extended family either.

I've also always felt intensely sorry for Susan, and though I've never
connected the feeling with my father's experience, I can see there might be
a strong connection. (Not that lots of people totally unconnected with these
events couldn't also feel intensely for Susan, of course.)

Many other survivors came to Melbourne, including a group who came to call
themselves the Buchenwald Boys, of whom my dad is a member; and in fact,
it's believed that Melbourne has one of the largest communities of Holocaust
Survivors in the world (though they are all, sadly, rapidly dying out) and
there was a strong and close Jewish community here as well, so my father
wasn't completely alone literally when he came here, but still, it must have
been similar to how you describe it.

Ros