[DWJ] Re: Last Battle

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 22 05:54:08 EDT 2006

Minnow wrote:
> It occurs to me that there are rather a lot of phrases and
> moments from the Narnia books that have stayed in my mind.
> "Ours, my boy, is a high and lonely destiny."  (Oh yeah?)

I'm rereading The Amulet of Samarkand, and your reminding me of Uncle
Whatsisname sparked the thought that he's exactly the sort of magician
who runs the world in Stroud's books- Underwood would say just that to
Nathaniel, if he was a bit more poetic than he is! It seems like a very
realistic portrayal of the love of power being the root of evil.
I think a lot of Stroud's magicians would benefit from being watered by
an elephant!
Jennifer