[DWJ] Big Bad Read

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Jun 22 05:44:01 EDT 2006

EGH wrote:

>The first thing that hit me when I began reading DWJ last summer is  that
>most of her obvious villians are women.  The interesting  thing is that
>they're *strong* women.  The bad men are usually bad  because of weak
>characters.
>
>  I suppose this has been talked through already on this list! :)

Me, I blame the parents....

Add to that one little comment from *The Tough Guide to Fantasyland*, morst
of the entry on "Dark Lady", which refers one to "Dark Lord" on the grounds
that "The Management ... seldom if ever employs a female in this role.
This is purely because the Management was born too late to meet my Great
Aunt Clara."

I have a feeling that the women in DWJ's background who were in positions
of power in her child-life were in general strong, nasty and manipulative
in a long-term way, whilst her father and stepfather were merely weak and
and short-term abusive.

Minnow