[DWJ] Big Bad Read

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Wed Jun 21 23:32:11 EDT 2006

Do people see the mother figure as the ultimate in comfort and  safety?  If so, to pervert that image would definitely be highly  frightening.  There must be male villians in literature who are  devious and manipulative, but those are certainly more stereotyically  female characteristics.  I still waver between admiring DWJ's  female villians and being annoyed that they come close to being a stock  character.  (Don't pelt me with tomatoes for saying that!)

  I don't think I've run into Aunt Maria; which book is she in?

  EGH

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:

I was thinking that too, sort of. That male villains are so often
cardboardy, Sauron-esque, "I want to take over the world!" type villains.
(has anyone ever tried asking WHY? what are they going to do with the
world?)

Female villains are so much more devious and manipulative and creepy. And
there's something about the whole idea of maternal-gone-wrong.

(especially Aunt Maria!)

Lili Wilkinson
Web Project Manager & Event Coordinator
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PH: 03 86647014
FAX: 03 96394143
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/readalert/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/youthlit/

             "Elizabeth G.
             Holtrop"

             holtrop.com>              Diana Wynne Jones
             dwj-bounces at suber
             ic.net                                                Subject
                                       Re: [DWJ] Big Bad Read

             22/06/2006 12:19

             Please respond to
             Diana Wynne Jones

The first thing that hit me when I began reading DWJ last summer is  that
most of her obvious villians are women.  The interesting  thing is that
they're *strong* women.  The bad men are usually bad  because of weak
characters.

  I suppose this has been talked through already on this list! :)

  EGH

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:

Speaking of CS Lewis, has anyone else been voting in the Big Bad Read for
their favourite literary villain?

No DWJ Jones villains though, but I suppose we could make our own list...

Laurel?
The Companion in Dogsbody?
That horrible woman in The Merlin Conspiracy whose name has escaped me?

(notices they're all women)

(hmm...)