[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

Wed Jun 21 23:25:45 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:49:14 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>|On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:25:07 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
>|
>|>Don't get me started on Robert Jordan.
>|>
>|>No, I take it back. Get me started. I dare you.
>|
>|But then I would have to come over there and start a fight with you, and
>|that would be regrettable....
>
>Well then I will not go into detail, except to say that I have
>difficulties with a universe in which it is metaphysically
>necessary that men and women can never really communicate.  And I
>will stop there, because fighting with Melissa would make me weep
>copious tears.

Me too.  (Fighting with Deborah, not fighting with myself, which happens on
a regular basis and rarely causes tears, except among the witnesses.)  We
actually agree on this point; it's the personal reaction where we begin to
differ.  In the later volumes of the series, I begin to wonder about the
possibility of taking the story away from Jordan and writing it correctly
myself.  The premise of male/female magic as postulated in his world sets up
what could be the basis for *restoring* communication between men and women.
But, as I said, I just see it all as a soap opera.  Someday it will be
finished, and I will read it from beginning to end, and either have one
whopper of a thesis or go permanently, dribblingly crazy.

Meliss Proffitt