[DWJ] Big Bad Read

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 21 22:22:55 EDT 2006

I was thinking that too, sort of. That male villains are so often
cardboardy, Sauron-esque, "I want to take over the world!" type villains.
(has anyone ever tried asking WHY? what are they going to do with the
world?)

Female villains are so much more devious and manipulative and creepy. And
there's something about the whole idea of maternal-gone-wrong.

(especially Aunt Maria!)

Lili Wilkinson
Web Project Manager & Event Coordinator
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PH: 03 86647014
FAX: 03 96394143
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/readalert/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/youthlit/

             "Elizabeth G.
             Holtrop"
             <elizabeth at bouma-                                          To
             holtrop.com>              Diana Wynne Jones <dwj at suberic.net>
             dwj-bounces at suber
             ic.net                                                Subject
                                       Re: [DWJ] Big Bad Read

             22/06/2006 12:19

             Please respond to
             Diana Wynne Jones
             <dwj at suberic.net>

The first thing that hit me when I began reading DWJ last summer is  that
most of her obvious villians are women.  The interesting  thing is that
they're *strong* women.  The bad men are usually bad  because of weak
characters.

  I suppose this has been talked through already on this list! :)

  EGH

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:

Speaking of CS Lewis, has anyone else been voting in the Big Bad Read for
their favourite literary villain?

No DWJ Jones villains though, but I suppose we could make our own list...

Laurel?
The Companion in Dogsbody?
That horrible woman in The Merlin Conspiracy whose name has escaped me?

(notices they're all women)

(hmm...)